Every morning while drinking my coffee before getting ready, I spend some time on my most guilty pleasure: Instagram. It’s amazing how much time can be wasted on this app. And as I’m scrolling sometimes I will come across a photo that inspires me to try something new and creative with my makeup. Maybe its a bold pop of yellow shadow in the inner corner. Or a bright glitter all over the lid with a nice cut crease. Or it could be something as simple (yet elusive to me) as a winged eyeliner. And I’ll think “Hey! I could do that look.” But the problem with wanting to be creative on weekday mornings is that achieving my desired result tends to take *a lot* of time. What with the (seemingly) endless eyeshadow blending, exact precision that is required of a bold lipstick, and the inevitable moment where I mess up and need to restart. Sure, some of this may be a direct consequence of my slightly perfectionist tendencies (which I’m not going to dwell on at this moment). But either way, if I want to actually get to work on time, I know not to fuck with a winged eyeliner. So most days, I save whatever photo inspired me to my “makeup” folder on Instagram, and stick with my tried and true products/look that I know work for me. Sure, I may vary the blush I use or color of lipstick I pick, but my weekday mornings tend to be reserved for a very basic makeup routine.
While these may not be the most exciting or “trendy” products right now, they are my go-to’s that on a daily basis never fail and allow me to look put together in a (relatively) short period of time.
Side note: I don’t always wear makeup. And I definitely think you aren’t required to wear makeup in order to look “put together”. But getting ready in the morning with my cat curled up on my lap, drinking coffee while listening to my “Discover Weekly” Spotify playlist, is my morning routine that I look forward to every day. If you choose not to wear makeup (for whatever reason), that is your choice to make! You do you girl.
- Loreal Brow Stylist Definer – I have purchased more of these than I could even count. It’s been my go-to brow product for the last 2 years or so. I use this every. single. day.
- Loreal Glotion – I’ve been using it everyday for the past 3 weeks. So it’s semi-new to me but I love it. It gives my skin a nice glowy sheen to it. I sometimes wear this on it’s own on the weekends.
- IT Cosmetics CC Cream – I prefer a medium natural coverage with my foundations. Like, I’m going for the “ok pretty sure she is wearing makeup, but maybe her skin really is just that even??” vibe. Ya feel me? This CC Cream gives me that. Covers all my redness and looks very natural. It does have a hint of glow to it, but I typically use a brush to blend this out which makes it more of a natural finish. f I want more of the glow aspect, I use my beauty blender.
- Nars Soft Matte Concealer – I died a little inside when I bought this because of the price ($30!!). BUT, every time I use it I think how much I’ve got my money’s worth. This concealer gives the perfect amount of coverage all while looking natural (sensing a theme here??). And it covers up my ever-present dark circles (thank you genetics!) like a boss. I’d be lost with out this guy.
- Tartelette In Bloom Eyeshadow Palette – The only high-end eyeshadow palette I currently own. At first glance, it may not look as exciting as say the Huda Beauty Desert Dusk palette, but it’s the perfect daily palette. It has a good mix of matte and shimmer shades, all incredibly wearable. Also this palette smells *so good*.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara – My go-to mascara for about a year now. The biggest reason I like this mascara is that it keeps my lashes curled all day. Other pros: I can do multiple layers without any clumping, the curve of the wand allows me to easily coat my bottom lashes without making a mess of my under eyes, and it lengthens my lashes quite a bit (I’m personally more a fan of length than volume). Con: for some reason, it is harder than most mascaras to take off. Which is annoying but I survive.
- Nars Orgasm Blush – This is a cult product for a reason. You can go in lightly with this or with a heavy hand, and either way you just end up with a nice glowy, flushed, sheen to your face. I’ve also had this for over 3 years and have yet to hit pan, despite using it all the time.
- Benefit Hoola Bronzer – You know how in Sephora they keep all those mini versions of products near the check-out line for people who lack self-control? Yup, that’s how this baby ended up in my life. Luckily, my impulse purchase didn’t end up being a bad one (this time). This never looks cake-y or muddy on my skin and blends out really well. Big fan, 10/10, holy grail… you get it. It’s good!!!
- Lipstick – I don’t have just one lipstick I use regularly because I do switch it up often. Recently though, two of my faves have been ColourPop Ultra Satin in “Echo Park” if I want a nude, and Kylie Cosmetics “Better Not Pout” if I want more of a bold color.
And that’s pretty much about covers it. I’d love to know what your most trusted daily products are in the comments!!